Right in the middle of a historic heat wave across the Pacific Northwest, many of us are scrambling to find creative ways to stay cool. We’ve gathered a few tips specific to Tri-Cities to help you stay cool, whether you have a functioning air conditioner or not.
1. Hang blankets or towels on your windows to block out sunlight.
2. Drink more water than you think you need to- if you’re thirsty, you’ve already begun to get dehydrated.
3. If your AC is not functioning or if you are experiencing rolling blackouts, the Richland businesses listed in this NBC article are allowing Tri-Cities residents to come cool down.
4. Eat fruits and vegetables with high water contents- such as celery, pineapple, peaches, and oranges. Pick up some locally grown fruit at one of our farmer’s markets- check out this list of major markets in Pasco, Kennewick, and Richland with links to each one’s website. Check the website or social media of your selected market to ensure they are operating this week. OR, pick up a fresh smoothie from Fresh Picks in Kennewick, Fresh Juice Me or Fresh Leaf Co in Richland, or Helados La Michoacana in Pasco.
5. Spend some time in the Columbia river- try out a paddle board or kayak rental from Greenies in Richland, or just take a dip. Be sure to wear a lifejacket and water-resistant sunscreen, and continue to hydrate.6. Walk dogs in the early morning rather than later at night to utilize the day’s coolest temperatures- you may even get the sunrise all to yourself!
We will get through this! Leave us a comment if you have any other ideas, and stay safe out there!