Last month was Realtor Safety Month and Distinctive Properties, Inc. wants to remind you:
– Make sure all doors to the outside of your home are metal or solid hardwood and have good, sturdy locks
– Sliding glass doors should be secured with commercially available bars or locks
– Make sure all windows – especially those at ground level – have good locks, and use them
– Lighting is important, so be sure all porches and other possible entrances are well illuminated. Motion sensing lights are the best option for this.
– Keep any bushes or trees that hide doors or windows neatly trimmed
– Keep a tight rein on trash. If you just bought a big-ticket item, such as a new entertainment system, do not put the empty boxes on the curb. It can attract the attention of would-be thieves. The best way to dispose of the cardboard is to take it to a recycle bin, or break it down and place it in trash bags.