According to the CBS Seattle news report from Dec. 4th, 2012, since 2011, carbon monoxide detectors are required in all new construction homes. Now in 2013, all residences will be required to have the alarms:, apartments, condos, townhouses, dormitories, etc. Single family homeowners will be required to furnish their home with a carbon monoxide alarm (if they have not already done so) before closing a sale on their home or if they obtain a remodeling permit.
The goal in requiring these detectors is to prevent a tragedy before it occurs—the requirement was developed after a winter storm in 2006 caused power outages in the Puget sound area, and hundreds of people were poisoned by carbon monoxide gas and eight died from carbon monoxide fumes according to the CBS Seattle News report.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, which makes it hard to detect. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), carbon monoxide can accompany combustion fumes which are produced by ordinary household appliances such as heating systems, stoves, and ranges. Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are “headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion,” according to the CDC. It can also cause death—which makes it extremely important to furnish your home with a carbon monoxide detector to protect you, your family and friends.
Please visit the CDC’s website for more information on how to protect your home from carbon monoxide, how to prevent your home appliances from emitting carbon monoxide fumes, and how to heat your home should you experience a power outage.
Source: CDC CO FAQs, http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm. Accessed 12/7/2012
Source: CBS Seattle “New Washington Carbon Monoxide Alarm Requirement in 2013.” Dec. 4, 2012.